Congratulations on making the great choice to become a GP! General practice is a rewarding and challenging career, offering flexibility and diversity rarely found in other specialties.
Who can apply to the Australian GP Training (AGPT) program?
Doctors can apply as early as intern/PGY1 year for the Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) program.
To be eligible doctors need to meet eligibility criteria concerning:
- Australian citizenship/permanent residency
- Primary medical qualifications
- Medical registration
- Other training programs
Please visit the AGPT website for detailed eligibility information.
When do applications open?
First intake: Closed
Second intake: Opens 20 August – 10.00am AEST 3 September 2018. See the second intake page for more information.
How can you apply?
There are three key steps in the AGPT selection process:
- Application: Apply online at the chosen fellowship college/s website during the application period:
- Fee and stage 1 assessment: Pay the chosen college/s application fee and participate in the college/s stage 1 assessment.
- Stage 2 assessment: Applicants scoring above the stage 1 assessment cut-off may be shortlisted to a training region and participate in a stage 2 assessment. During this stage, applicants shortlisted to a NSW/ACT training region will be asked to nominate their subregion preferences for their allocated training region. Successful applicants may then be offered a training place up to the number of training places available within a training region.
Applicants with specific queries about each college’s selection process should contact the relevant college/s directly on:
- ACRRM: www.acrrm.org.au | Applicant queries: email@example.com or 1800 223 226
- RACGP: www.racgp.org.au | Applicant queries: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1800 331 626
For further information about the application and selection process
Doctors interested in applying are strongly encouraged to:
- Visit the AGPT website for information about eligibility
- Contact their fellowship college of choice: ACRRM website | RACGP website
- Request a GP Synergy Applicant Pack
- Visit our AGPT resources page
Whilst we always try our best to provide the most up to date information, sometimes things change. Please ensure you always visit the AGPT, ACRRM and RACGP websites for the most up to date information.