The GP placement process
The AGPT program is an apprentice-ship based model, where registrars train in accredited community GP practices with dedicated supervisors providing teaching and support in your development into a confident and skilled GP specialist.
Applied for the 2023 AGPT program?
How do you choose a GP term placement?
Kick start your GP career
GP Synergy will support you to secure a GP term placement, however it may not be in the specific location you were seeking. Generally, registrars do not have difficulty securing a GP term.
To ensure communities across NSW and ACT benefit from the Commonwealth funded Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) program, GP registrars are required to train in areas of medical service need. This requires GP Synergy registrars to meet certain AGPT and GP Synergy Training Location Obligations (TLOs) during their training.
When you make your grouping preference, you will have the opportunity to outline the reasons supporting your TLO timing preferences which will be taken into consideration during the grouping allocation process.
You can contact practices prior to placements officially opening, however prior to doing so you need to consider the following:
- Practices must be accredited with GP Synergy to be able to offer placements.
- Some practices may be happy to talk with registrars prior to placement lists opening, whereas others may see this as disruptive and may view applications from registrars who do so unfavourably.
- Registrars will only know which grouping they have been allocated prior to placements opening, which means you may be discussing options with a practice that you are not eligible to apply to.
- The number of placements practices have available when placement lists open may change.
- Placements can only be confirmed through the placement portal on GPRime.
More information about term placement will be available during your induction with GP Synergy.