Congratulations to the NSW/ACT winners of the RACGP awards! All of the award winners show a commitment to high quality GP training.
- GP of the Year Dr Duncan MacKinnon – Dr MacKinnon has served Bega as a GP for 25 years and is the owner of the Bega Valley Medical Practice. He is also a Visiting Medical Officer. Dr MacKinnon has been supervising registrars at the Bega Valley Medical Practice and Sapphire Coast Medical Practice for many years. During the 2019-20 bushfires, Dr MacKinnon demonstrated exemplary leadership by helping to co-ordinate the local health response, including at the local evacuation centre. He played a key role in advocating for GPs in the local emergency response and fought strongly for increased funding and support for counselling services post-bushfires. Read more about Dr MacKinnon.
- GP Supervisor of the Year – Clinical Associate Professor Aniello Iannuzzi of Warrumbungle Medical Centre has been recognised for providing outstanding training guidance for registrars under his supervision in Coonabarabran for many years. Read more about Clinical Associate Professor Aniello Iannuzzi.
- General Practitioner in Training of the Year – Dr Josephine Guyer is a Registrar Medical Educator with GP Synergy and is currently working at the Myhealth Liverpool clinic, having completed terms at the Tharawal Aboriginal Corporation in Airds, the Primacare Medical Centre in Roselands and Schwarz Family in Elderslie. She was previously a worthy recipient of the RACGP’s inaugural Growing Strong Award in 2017 and has embraced that ethos in her GP training.In response to the COVID-19 pandemic the practice set up a special respiratory clinic in conjunction with the ACT government Read more about Dr Josephine Guyer.
- General Practice of the Year – led by Drs John Deery and Mel Deery, YourGP@Crace enjoys a strong contingent of passionate doctors, nurses, allied health and administration staff. It is a true team environment where each heath professional brings a different personality and skill set to the table. Read more about YourGP@Crace.
- Eric Fisher Award – this annual award is given to the NSW or ACT early career GP who has a strong focus on the emotional wellbeing of their patients and colleagues. This year Dr Ashlea Broomfield has received the award for helping curate and facilitate a now annual two-day workshop ‘NSW& ACT Wellbeing Weekend for GPs’, chairing a response group to support the needs of GPs in training during the COVID-19 pandemic and has worked with her colleagues to push for change within RACGP policies and procedures to support GP wellbeing. Read more about Dr Ashlea Broomfield.
Dr MacKinnon, Associate Professor Aniello Iannuzzi, Dr Josephine Guyer and YourGP@Crace will vie for the respective national awards that will be announced at GP20 on Friday, 20 November 2020. We wish them all the best in the national awards.