GP Synergy is committed to ensuring that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health is an integral component of the GP registrar training program.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Advisory Committee
In collaboration with the NSW/ACT Aboriginal Community Controlled Health services, in 2011 GP Synergy established the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Advisory Committee.
The committee is a sub-committee of the GP Synergy Board. Committee membership comprises CEOs and other community-based health professionals from the NSW/ACT Aboriginal Community Controlled Health sector including the peak body for NSW – the Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council of NSW.
The committee plays a critical role in the development, implementation, and compliance of GP Synergy’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Strategic Plan. It also supports the delivery of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health education and promotion, registrar recruitment, and the aspirations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities through the governance and operations of GP Synergy.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Education Unit
GP Synergy’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Education Unit is the operational mechanism for implementing and supporting the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Strategic Plan.
Through its Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health training days, GP Synergy brings together experienced GPs, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health professionals. The training supports GP registrars to understand the complexities and opportunities that working in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health contexts offer.
The unit also supports the committee and Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHSs) to develop processes, resources and activities to support GP registrar training within services. This builds on the existing capacity of services to ensure the training experience for GP registrars is positive, and has positive outcomes for the services and their communities.
For further information visit our Aboriginal health subsite
We have developed a resource-rich website that provides information on GP training in Aboriginal health as well as being a great starting point for a better understanding of Aboriginal health.
The website supports GP registrars and ACCHS facilities by providing information about Aboriginal health training posts in NSW and ACT, and GP Synergy initiatives and support available to ACCHSs.
The site includes:
- information about GP Synergy, our Aboriginal Cultural Education Unit and our strategic vision to help Close the Gap including our Reconciliation Action Plan
- details of accredited NSW and ACT Aboriginal health training posts, and testimonials from registrars who have trained in an Aboriginal health training facility
- access to a range of cultural resources including key dates of significance, cultural awareness resources, clinical resources, as well as links to key health and population data
- ACCHS educational programs and ACCHS support resources
- information about how to become an accredited GP training facility
- the latest news on our activities and initiatives we are undertaking to improve opportunities for registrars to train in ACCHS facilities and improve access to primary healthcare provision for Aboriginal communities.
For more information, please contact our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Education Unit on 1300 477 963 or email@example.com