Congratulations on making the great choice to become a GP! General practice is a rewarding and challenging career, offering flexibility and diversity rarely found in other specialties.
Applying for GP training has many steps which are explained below.
Changes to the 2018 selection process
In 2017, there will be a change in the way doctors are selected into the 2018 AGPT program, with the two colleges of general practice – the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) and the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM) taking over management of the selection process from the Department of Health.
Information about these changes can be found at:
- Department of Health | Assistant Minster Dr David Gillespie media release | 30 January 2017
- AGPT selection changes FAQ
Who can apply to the Australian GP Training (AGPT) program?
Doctors can apply as early as intern/PGY1 year for the Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) program.
To be eligible doctors need to meet eligibility criteria concerning:
- Australian citizenship/permanent residency
- Primary medical qualifications
- Medical registration
- Other training programs
Please visit the AGPT website for detailed eligibility information.
When do applications open?
Applications for the 2018 AGPT program are now closed. Applications generally only open annually between April and May.
What is the 2018 AGPT selection process?
There are three key steps in the AGPT selection process:
- Application: Apply online at the chosen fellowship college/s website during the application period.
- Fee and stage 1 assessment: Pay the chosen college/s application fee and participate in the college/s stage 1 assessment.
- Stage 2 assessment: Applicants scoring above the stage 1 assessment cut-off may be shortlisted to a training region and participate in a stage 2 assessment. During this stage, applicants shortlisted to a NSW/ACT training region will be asked to nominate their subregion preferences for their allocated training region. Successful applicants may then be offered a training place up to the number of training places available within a training region.
For information about the selection process see:
- ACRRM selection flowchart and dates
- RACGP selection flowchart and dates
- GP Synergy college comparison application flowchart
- GP Synergy Applicant Pack (request one from our mailing list)
Applicants with specific queries about each college’s selection process should contact the relevant college/s:
- ACRRM: www.acrrm.org.au | Applicant queries: email@example.com or 1800 223 226
- RACGP: www.racgp.org.au | Applicant queries: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1800 331 626
For further information about the application and selection process
Doctors interested in applying are strongly encouraged to:
- Visit the AGPT website for information about eligibility
- Contact their fellowship college of choice: ACRRM website | RACGP website
- Request a GP Synergy Applicant Pack from the mailing list
- Visit our AGPT resources page
Whilst we always try our best to provide the most up to date information, sometimes things change. Please ensure you always visit the AGPT, ACRRM and RACGP websites for the most up to date information.